MISSION, STATUS and CONSTITUTION
The GSG is committed to the world wide conservation and sustainable management of all native populations of Galliformes* species and their habitats.
The GSG operates under the authority of the Species Survival Commission (SSC) of the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN). The GSG is a voluntary self-help network of field scientists, wildlife managers, conservationists, aviculturists and educators.
The Co-Chairs are appointed by the Chair of the SSC, normally for the 4-year period between IUCN World Conservation Congress meetings (i.e. 2013-16). The Co-Chairs appoint the membership according to SSC guidelines. An international Co-Chairs’ Advisory Board assists the Co-Chairs in running the GSG. The implementation of any project undertaken with GSG approval or endorsement is the responsibility of an independent Principal Investigator (PI), who may or may not be a GSG Member.
* For a limited period, the GSG has also agreed to act as an umbrella for similar work on Tinamiformes species.
The GSG strives to achieve its mission though a set of linked activities:
- Establishing a world wide membership of individuals active in conservation-related research and action;
- Maintaining an independent website, publishing a newsletter and organising international symposia and workshops;
- Assessing the conservation status of all its species, using the IUCN Red List criteria and in collaboration with BirdLife International (as the Red List Authority for birds);
- Prioritising conservation-related research and action for its species at the global, regional, strategic and species levels;
- Catalysing project activities though PIs in order to acquire new information on the status of and threats to its species, and to implement and monitor conservation action based on sound science;
- Operating review and mentoring processes for PIs to assist them in the development and implementation of projects and the publication of significant findings;
- Giving advice to assist PIs with fundraising for projects.